C. R. Leech built three estates in Blackfen from 1929 onwards: the Burnt Oak Estate on what had been Heaslip’s farm, the Westwood Estate on what had been Westwood Farm, and the Queenswood Estate on what had been Queenswood House. Leech’s estates consisted of a variety of house size for a variety of needs, a mixture of semi-detached bungalows, terraces of four, five and six, and larger semi-detached houses. The roads he built reflected family connections (his wife’s maiden name was Mary Curran) and conjured up a rural setting (Sycamore, Lime, Willow, Ashcroft, Elmcroft, Maple, Beech, Cedar). The origins of ‘Lyndon’ and ‘Burleigh’ are not known. ‘Leechcroft’, of course, remembered the family surname.
Born in Rotherhithe, Charles Richard Leech began his work as a tarpaulin maker in Deptford. He later moved to a factory in Carshalton and built houses in the Butter Hill district of Wallington.
As well as the three estates in Blackfen, he also built houses in Old Farm Avenue Sidcup and the Kingswood Estate, Swanley.